[R-SIG-Mac] filled.contours and quartz() problem

Joerg van den Hoff j.van_den_hoff at fzd.de
Fri Oct 30 18:12:13 CET 2009

On Oct 30 2009 (Fri, 12:01), Marc Schwartz wrote:
> On Oct 30, 2009, at 11:53 AM, Joerg van den Hoff wrote:

>>> FAQ 12.10
>>
>> thanks, I had'nt noticed that (quick googling before pestering the
>> mailing list did'nt show this :-))
>>
>> but this was not quite/exclusively my problem: 12.10 addresses only
>> `image' behaviour and
>> states that this is taken care of in quartz. for image, I can confirm
>> that this is true.  but not for `filled.contours': here `quartz'
>> excatly
>> shows what I have described previously.
>>
>> but by using quartz(antialias=F) the problem indeed goes away.
>>
>> so, indeed your answer solved my problem (thanks again). two last
>> remarks: should FAQ 12.10 not be augmented in order to state that use
>> of
>> `filled.contour' with quartz requires to use quartz(antialias=F)?
>> it would be even better, I believe, to add an updated FAQ 12.10 to the
>> manpage of quartz (and maybe `pdf'), which after all is a more obvious
>> place to look for a
>> solution than the FAQ (which e.g. escaped my attention altogether...)
>>

>> joerg
>

> FWIW, this is also covered in the general R FAQ 7.36:
>
> http://cran.r-project.org/doc/FAQ/R-FAQ.html#Why-are-there-unwanted-borders
>
> HTH,

OK, you win. had I seen those two, I would have got it. not much sense
in arguing against a FAQ... but the thing runs at about 40 pages at the
moment and it really did not occur to me that this seeminlgy very
special problem would be in the FAQ at all. I still would prefer to see "FAQs"
which can be assigned to one or two manpages, there as well. at the very
least a comment concerning the antialias switch of `quartz' would do no
harm... but anyway, I'm happy again.

thanks again

joerg