[R-SIG-Mac] filled.contours and quartz() problem

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Fri Oct 30 16:56:26 CET 2009

On Oct 30, 2009, at 11:05 AM, Joerg van den Hoff wrote:

> has someone tried `filled.contours' with a `quartz' device?

I just did with the first example in the help page and the output is
not as expected. The left axis tick.labels are plotted partially
outside the display window, the labels on the color legend are mostly
out of the plot window and the axis labels are completely outside the
window. Resizing does not fix the problem, nor does saving and viewing
in Preview.app.

> for me, contrary to using `X11' the display is corrupted by
> visible rendering of all contour lines (looks as if `contour'
> output is overlayed on the image with a thin line width in a
> whitish color) as well as the pixel boundaries .

I'm not seeing anything that looks visually unpleasant, but the edges
appear to have a light highlight.

> the same happens, when I first draw to `X11' and then
> `dev.print' to a pdf-file: with `gv' under X everything looks fine,
> using `PreView' under Aqua looks like the `quartz' ouput.

Plotting to x11() "works". But I do agree that the edges appear
unhighlighted in comparison to the quartz output.

> I know that Apple's pdf rendering engine used to be buggy (don't know
> if this is still true) but I'm not sure that this is the reason.

I am guessing this is new, since I am pretty sure that I have plotted
that example before and not had the incorrect sizing.

> it seems that somehow gaps of one screen-pixel are introduced between
> the constant-color patches.
>
> is this known? can something be done about this?
>
> regards,
> joerg
>

> ps: partly the problems occur with `image', too: here the quartz
> display
> of looks ok, but viewing the same image after dev.print(pdf) shows the
> image pixels separated by (I presume one) screen-pixel gaps. viewing
> the pdf-output with `xpdf' on a linux machine showed similar
> behaviour.

 > sessionInfo()
R version 2.9.2 (2009-08-24)

(Now that's weird, I thought I had installed the release candidate for
2.10)

x86_64-apple-darwin9.8.0

locale:
en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/C/C/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8

attached base packages:
[1] splines   stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets
methods   base

other attached packages:
[1] Hmisc_3.7-0     epicalc_2.9.2.8 survival_2.35-7 foreign_0.8-38

[1] cluster_1.12.1  grid_2.9.2      lattice_0.17-26

--

David Winsemius, MD
Heritage Laboratories