[R-SIG-Mac] Building from source problems.

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Oct 29 22:55:22 CET 2009

On 30/10/2009, at 10:25 AM, Simon Urbanek wrote:

> Rolf,

	<snip>

>> 		But I still worry about the impact of setting ``No proxy''.
>>
>> 		An IT person is coming by this arvo to help me out with
>> 		this --- maybe things will be OK.  So far I have observed
>> 		no ill effects.
>>

> As Brian said, apparently there is a setting in Firefox that allows
> you to keep the proxy for external connection and use direct access to
> localhost (R help).

	Yeah, I didn't/don't understand that, since I don't understand
	what ``proxies'' are.  I'm just hammering and hoping.  P'raps
	the IT person who will come by this arvo will be able to help
	me get this straight.  I shall discuss Prof. Ripley's advice
	with her.

>> 		(b) Building the spatstat package from source.  I'd ***really***
>> 		like to be able to do this.  I participate to some extent in
>> 		the development of spatstat.  I get that funny error from
>> 		gcc in respect of that ``mtune=core2'' flag which brings it all
>> 		to a halt.
>
> The reason why I said your should get the CRAN release of 2.10 is
> exactly because that binary doesn't use the core2 optimization flags
> (you still have the issue of having old tools so it may break
> elsewhere -- so that may or may not ease your woes ...).

	OK.  I'll get the CRAN release.  I'd still like to fix up the
	old tools issue, but.

>>> As for your woes - I suspect you have outdated Xcode tools, but
>>> unfortunately you appear to not have read my e-mail so I can only
>>> speculate.
>>
>> 	I ***did*** read your email, mate!  (Just to prove how
>> 	evilly the fates are out to get me, I searched high and
>> 	low for that email, through all my saved emails and all
>> 	the deleted emails --- which are actually kept around in
>> 	the ``Trash'' --- and couldn't find it.  I did manage to
>> 	find my reply, which quoted from it.)
>>
>> 	I gather that what you're referring to is the sentence
>> 	``Without further details on the tools you installed, exact
>> 	OS version and the like there is not much we can help with.''
>>
>> 	Well, I gave my session info, and told you my OS (Mac OS X
>> 	10.4.11).  But I'm afraid I ***don't know*** ``the tools I
>> 	installed''.
>
> Ok, so say so and I'll tell you how to find out :) -- the easiest is
> to click on
> /Developer/Applications/Xcode.app
> and see which version it is. Or, even better, just read
> http://r.research.att.com/tools/
> (the FAQ says the same thing about the tools you need but ... :P)

	Did that.  'Mazing what I can do, once I know how! :-)
	It says version 2.5.  So, from what you said later in your
	email,
- search for Xcode
2.5 - download and install.

would seem to be up to date.

	I gave that a go just now, and it said:

> The following is missing from your gcc 4.2 compiler installation.
> Reinstall the 4.2 compiler, or use another release.
>   /usr/bin/gcc-4.2
>   /usr/bin/g++-4.2
>   /usr/include/gcc/darwin/4.2/stdint.h
>   /usr/include/gcc/darwin/4.2/

	So I need to update my gcc.  But the FAQ says, in respect of
	C/C++ compiler (section 2.1.1) that I should download Xcode
	from http://developer.apple.com/tools/xcode/.

	And if my current Xcode (version 2.5) is uptodate, that won't
	make a difference, will it?  I'm puzzled.

	Well, I'm going to have a try at downloading the latest Xcode
	from the Apple site and see if that helps.

	Thanks for all your assistance.  I may well be bugging you
	again soon, I'm afraid.

		cheers,

			Rolf