[R-SIG-Mac] Building from source problems.

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Thu Oct 29 22:25:12 CET 2009

Rolf,

On Oct 29, 2009, at 16:48 , Rolf Turner wrote:

> On 30/10/2009, at 3:51 AM, Simon Urbanek wrote:
>
>> Rolf,
>>
>> you could save yourself a lot of trouble if you just looked at CRAN
>> --
>> you'd notice that I have actually released an official 2.10.0 binary
>> just for you ;).
>
> 	Well thank you!  Too kind! :-)
>
> 	I think I'm OK for the time being with 2.10.0; installing the
> 	binary from the r.research.att site seems to have worked fine.
>
> 	And building 2.10.0 from source is not really an issue any more
> 	(although I'd feel more comfy if such a build would work).
>
> 	To repeat what I have said several times now, but doesn't seem
> 	to have gotten through, the only reason I attempted to build from
> 	source was that the Mac binary on CRAN (the only one I could find
> 	at the time) was for 64-bit and that wouldn't install on my Mac
> 	which running antique Tiger.  Now that I know how to find a
> 	working 32-bit binary I'm OK.
>
> 	The residual problems I have are:
>
> 		(a) Getting html help working under 2.10.0.  Well I
> 		***have*** it working, by setting ``No proxy'' in
> 		my Firefox preferences and ``manually'' setting
> 		options(help_type="html") in my .Rprofile.
>
> 		BTW this ***goes like a train!!!***.  Very fast start
> 		up.  So you've done nice work here.  And I appreciate
> 		it.  Really I do, my grumpiness notwithstanding.
>
> 		But I still worry about the impact of setting ``No proxy''.
>
> 		An IT person is coming by this arvo to help me out with
> 		this --- maybe things will be OK.  So far I have observed
> 		no ill effects.

As Brian said, apparently there is a setting in Firefox that allows
you to keep the proxy for external connection and use direct access to
localhost (R help).

> 		(b) Building the spatstat package from source.  I'd ***really***
> 		like to be able to do this.  I participate to some extent in
> 		the development of spatstat.  I get that funny error from
> 		gcc in respect of that ``mtune=core2'' flag which brings it all
> 		to a halt.

The reason why I said your should get the CRAN release of 2.10 is
exactly because that binary doesn't use the core2 optimization flags
(you still have the issue of having old tools so it may break
elsewhere -- so that may or may not ease your woes ...).

>> As for your woes - I suspect you have outdated Xcode tools, but
>> unfortunately you appear to not have read my e-mail so I can only
>> speculate.
>
> 	I ***did*** read your email, mate!  (Just to prove how
> 	evilly the fates are out to get me, I searched high and
> 	low for that email, through all my saved emails and all
> 	the deleted emails --- which are actually kept around in
> 	the ``Trash'' --- and couldn't find it.  I did manage to
> 	find my reply, which quoted from it.)
>
> 	I gather that what you're referring to is the sentence
> 	``Without further details on the tools you installed, exact
> 	OS version and the like there is not much we can help with.''
>
> 	Well, I gave my session info, and told you my OS (Mac OS X
> 	10.4.11).  But I'm afraid I ***don't know*** ``the tools I
> 	installed''.

Ok, so say so and I'll tell you how to find out :) -- the easiest is
to click on
/Developer/Applications/Xcode.app
and see which version it is. Or, even better, just read
http://r.research.att.com/tools/
(the FAQ says the same thing about the tools you need but ... :P)

But back to your problem -- in order to support the optimizations (-
mtune=core2) you want to switch to gcc-4.2 -- you can do that by
typing "sudo gcc_select 4.2" in a Terminal window.

>  Quite some time back when I was just starting
> 	to use this machine it became quickly apparent that I couldn't
> 	do builds of packages that used C and Fortran.  I groped and
> 	thrashed around and found (I've no idea how) that one could
> 	download some sort of ``developer tool kit'' or some phrase
> 	like that, from the Mac web site.  I remember having to ``register
> 	with them to get the toolkit, but the software was free.  Anyhow,
> 	that worked, and I was able to compile C and Fortran code, and
> 	build packages from source, without a hitch.  Until now.
>
> 	But what ``tools'' I have (and how I got them) is lost in the
> 	mists of time and my ageing memory.
>
> 	Can you (or someone) tell me in monosyllables how to go about
> 	updating my ``outdated Xcode tools''?  I'd love to, if only
> 	I knew how.  But please (anyone who replies to this request)
> 	give me an explicit recipe.

The most current version of Xcode for 10.4 is Xcode 2.5. You can get
it from
http://connect.apple.com/
Login or create a (free) ADC account if you don't have one, then click
on Downloads and then Developer Tools (on the right-hand side under
Download). Then you get a long list of all tools - search for Xcode
2.5 - download and install.
Again, something along those lines in the FAQ :P