[R-SIG-Mac] R crash on startup in OS X

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Thu Oct 22 00:52:54 CEST 2009

On Oct 21, 2009, at 4:53 PM, Jordan Thomson wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I've started from scratch with R 2.9.2 and now have R.app in my
> Applications folder.
> The Framework folder is in the proper place and I can find the
> libR.dylib file using Finder.  However, when I run the command in
> Terminal that Simon suggested it returns this error, even though the
> path is correct and the file is there:
>
> /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.9/Resources/lib/
> file:       cannot open (/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/
> 2.9/Resources/lib/
> file)
> /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.9/Resources/lib/
> libR.dylib: cannot open (/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/
> 2.9/Resources/lib/
> libR.dylib)
> [Process completed]
>
> Sorry this is a pain... any other suggestions?!

Well, if I were you I'd run
sudo rm -rf /Library/Frameworks/R.framework
and re-install R (using the installer). But if you want to try to
figure out what's happening try this -- what does ls -l say? Run
id
ls -l /Library/Frameworks
ls -l /Library/Frameworks/R.framework
ls -l /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions
ls -l /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.9/Resources/lib