[R-SIG-Mac] R crash on startup in OS X

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Wed Oct 21 22:05:05 CEST 2009

On Oct 21, 2009, at 15:55 , Jordan Thomson wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> Thanks for the quick reply.  The Framework folder and contents are
> all there at /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.9, including
> the library file (libR.dylib).

Are you really sure? Run this in Terminal:

file /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.9/Resources/lib/
libR.dylib

You should see something like

hagal:urbanek$ file /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.9/
Resources/lib/libR.dylib
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.9/Resources/lib/libR.dylib:
Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.9/Resources/lib/libR.dylib
(for architecture ppc):	Mach-O dynamically linked shared library ppc
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.9/Resources/lib/libR.dylib
(for architecture i386):	Mach-O dynamically linked shared library i386

and just to make sure that all is well you can also try

hagal:urbanek$ file -L /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/R
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/R: Mach-O universal binary with 2
architectures
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/R (for architecture ppc):	Mach-O
dynamically linked shared library ppc
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/R (for architecture i386):	Mach-O