[R-SIG-Mac] tiff output on Mac

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri Oct 16 19:20:44 CEST 2009

On Oct 16, 2009, at 1:10 PM, Sundar Dorai-Raj wrote:

> Hi, Simon,
>
> I'm not sure where quartz.save is? Can you send me a pointer?

It's a function supplied by the R.app GUI. There is no help for it
since it's not part of any package.

 > args(quartz.save)
function (file, type = "png", device = dev.cur(), dpi = 100, ...)

It's essentially a front-end to quartz() that is smart enough to find
out settings from the current device so it can replicate the result
using any quartz back-end. For parameters (except for "device" which
is the device you want to save from) see ?quartz.

>> help.search("quartz.save")
> No help files found with alias or concept or title matching
> ‘quartz.save’ using regular expression matching.
>> R.version
>               _
> platform       i386-apple-darwin8.11.1
> arch           i386
> os             darwin8.11.1
> system         i386, darwin8.11.1
> status
> major          2
> minor          9.2
> year           2009
> month          08
> day            24
> svn rev        49384
> language       R
> version.string R version 2.9.2 (2009-08-24)
>
> Thanks,
>
> --sundar
>
> On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 2:54 PM, Simon Urbanek
> <simon.urbanek at r-project.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Oct 15, 2009, at 13:08 , Michael Denslow wrote:
>>
>>> Dear R Mac folks,
>>>
>>> I have not seen a thread on this so I thought I would get some input
>>> regarding tiff output on a Mac.
>>> I am currently running OS 10.6.1 and R 2.9.2 GUI 1.29 Tiger build
>>> 32-bit
>>> (5464).
>>>
>>> I realize that the easiest way to save a plot is to select File,
>>> Save
>>> As. Which outputs a .pdf file. However, if I insert this graphic
>>> into
>>> Microsoft Word and send it to a friend on Windows the file gets
>>> mangled (the quality is decreased significantly). So I am working on
>>> just writing high quality tiff files which seem to display well
>>> all on
>>> both platforms. Tiffs also seems to be one of the preferred file
>>> types
>>> for many journals in my field.
>>>

>> PNG is the format of choice these days and better supported in
>> general. TIFF
>> is more rare, but there is some support.
>>
>> If you want 1:1 result of what you see in the Quartz window then
>> the best
>> way is to use quartz.save() as it maintains sizes to produce WYSIWYG
>> results, e.g:
>>
>> quartz.save("foo.tif","tiff",dpi=600)
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Simon
>>

>>> Here are the options I have found that work on Macs.
>>>

>>> # requires Ghostscript
>>> bitmap(file="MacTest.tiff", type = "tifflzw",
>>>        height = 7, width = 7, res = 600,
>>>     units = "in")
>>> plot(rpois(1:40,10))
>>> dev.off()
>>>

>>> tiff('Mactest.tiff', width = 5, height = 5, units = 'in', res = 600)
>>> plot(rpois(1:100,1))
>>> dev.off()
>>>
>>> quartz(height = 7, width = 7, type = 'tiff', file =
>>> 'MacTest.tiff',bg
>>> = 'white',dpi = 600)
>>> hist(rpois(1:100,1))
>>> dev.off()
>>>

>>> hist(rpois(1:100,1))
>>> # line are not all dark in output, not sure which tiff type to
>>> use...
>>> dev2bitmap(file = 'MacTest.tiff', type = 'tiff24nc', height = 7,