[R-SIG-Mac] tiff output on Mac

Michael Denslow michael.denslow at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 19:08:19 CEST 2009

Dear R Mac folks,

I have not seen a thread on this so I thought I would get some input
regarding tiff output on a Mac.
I am currently running OS 10.6.1 and R 2.9.2 GUI 1.29 Tiger build 32-bit (5464).

I realize that the easiest way to save a plot is to select File, Save
As. Which outputs a .pdf file. However, if I insert this graphic into
Microsoft Word and send it to a friend on Windows the file gets
mangled (the quality is decreased significantly). So I am working on
just writing high quality tiff files which seem to display well all on
both platforms. Tiffs also seems to be one of the preferred file types
for many journals in my field.

Here are the options I have found that work on Macs.

# requires Ghostscript
bitmap(file="MacTest.tiff", type = "tifflzw",
	height = 7, width = 7, res = 600,
      units = "in")
plot(rpois(1:40,10))
dev.off()

tiff('Mactest.tiff', width = 5, height = 5, units = 'in', res = 600)
plot(rpois(1:100,1))
dev.off()

quartz(height = 7, width = 7, type = 'tiff', file = 'MacTest.tiff',bg
= 'white',dpi = 600)
hist(rpois(1:100,1))
dev.off()

hist(rpois(1:100,1))
# line are not all dark in output, not sure which tiff type to use...
dev2bitmap(file = 'MacTest.tiff', type = 'tiff24nc', height = 7, width
= 7, res = 600,
	units = 'in')

I have noticed that for bitmap and tiff the font and symbol size seems
to differ between the R session plot and the output plot.
Are there other graphic output options that I am missing here? Any
tips would be most appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Michael

--
Michael Denslow

Graduate Student
I.W. Carpenter Jr. Herbarium [BOON]
Department of Biology
Appalachian State University
Boone, North Carolina U.S.A.

-- AND --

Communications Manager
Southeast Regional Network of Expertise and Collections
sernec.org