[R-SIG-Mac] package installation issues

Thu Nov 12 18:53:54 CET 2009

Heh ...

On Nov 12, 2009, at 12:45 PM, Michael Barnett wrote:

> I apologize for not being more precise. I'm pasting the printout I
> get below:
>
> *****
> > install.packages("igraph")
> trying URL 'http://lib.stat.cmu.edu/R/CRAN/bin/macosx/leopard/
> contrib/2.10/igraph_0.5.2-2.tgz'
> Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 3312372 bytes (3.2 Mb)
> opened URL
> downloaded 3.2 Mb
>

> The downloaded packages are in
> 	/var/folders/7J/7JpbFNySGACoH3teAShOLE+++TM/-Tmp-//RtmpXG1NQC/
> downloaded_packages
> > library(igraph)
> Error in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...) :
>  unable to load shared library '/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/
> Resources/library/igraph/libs/x86_64/igraph.so':
>  dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/igraph/
> libs/x86_64/igraph.so, 10): Symbol not found: ___gmpz_clear
>  Referenced from: /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/
> igraph/libs/x86_64/igraph.so
>  Expected in: dynamic lookup
>
> Error : .onLoad failed in 'loadNamespace' for 'igraph'
> Error: package/namespace load failed for 'igraph'
> ******

... that's really funny. I just tried to re-install igraph like you
did, and now I got the same error :-)

Do you have XCode installed? Installing the package from source seems
to do the trick:

install.packages('igraph', type='source')
... lots of compile info ...

Now loading igraph works (I had to restart R ... I guess having tried
to load the original compiled package hose the workspace, somehow).

I typically install most packages from source, anyway, so I guess this
is why I didn't see this before.

Does this work for you?

-steve

btw - I'm on a mac pro w/ snow leopard, not that I'm sure that matters
now ...

--
Steve Lianoglou