[R-SIG-Mac] Problem with R CMD check, pdflatex

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon May 18 18:53:06 CEST 2009

On Mon, 18 May 2009, Simon Urbanek wrote:

> Michael,
>
> CRAN R comes configured with MacTeX, see also
> https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mac/2009-April/006129.html
>
> One of the problems is that PATH settings on OS X differ between LS-started
> apps, shells etc., so it is in general problematic to get the path right in
> all circumstances, so currently the CRAN binary assumes the most common
> distribution.

True, but here we talking about R_PDFLATEXCMD, which is only used by
Rd2dvi, which is AFAIK only called via R CMD and so from a shell. I
would have thought that 'R_PDFLATEXCMD=pdflatex' (so looking on the
path) was a better default for a binary distribution.

You can always set R_PDFLATEXCMD (or PDFLATEX) if the distributed
binary is not right for you.

R CMD check does do a check for a workable pdflatex, but it seems it
looks at the environment variable PDFLATEX not R_PDFLATEXCMD: I'll
update it.