[R-SIG-Mac] Linux user asks: What about that Editor you have built-in. Can we compile it too?

Rob Goedman robjgoedman at me.com
Fri May 15 22:50:16 CEST 2009

Paul,

Hopefully someone with knowledge of Emacs & ESS & R on Linux will help
you first!

I would guess recompiling just the Editor is virtually impossible.
R.app, in which the Editor is embedded, is Cocoa based. It would be a
major undertaking to port R.app or at least major parts of it (and
subsequent maintenance). E.g. http://www.gnu.org/software/gnustep/resources/BookClarifications.html
  talks about some of the issues.
And there is a 3rd edition of the Hillegass book.

If the Emacs/ESS issues absolutely cannot be resolved, maybe a more
feasible/easier route would be to use tcl/tk, like John Fox has done
in Rcmdr. Maybe start-off with something like MetPad? Not simple
either, but doable.

Rob