[R-SIG-Mac] Linux user asks: What about that Editor you have built-in. Can we compile it too?

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Fri May 15 22:15:34 CEST 2009

On May 15, 2009, at 2:59 PM, Paul Johnson wrote:

> I use Linux only and have been teaching students with Emacs & ESS.
> Lately, we've had some troubles with that combination that are not
> solved, and it has caused me to look about for alternatives.
>
> One of my students has a Macintosh and he showed me that the R that he
> installed came with an editor that does what we need. The
> command-shift sends lines over.
>
> So I started to wonder: why can't we compile that Editor in Linux?  If
> a Mac is really BSD Unix with a layer of libraries, it should be
> possible.  There are GNUstep libraries to duplicate much of the
> NextStep framework, but I have not studied enough on current Mac
> systems to know how close we might be to building the Mac R editor
> along with R itself.
>
> I've been Googling and searching in this lists archive and don't find
> much discussion on this.  If anybody has ideas about whether this is
> possible, please advise.

Paul,

Can you describe the problems that you are having with Emacs/ESS?

I have played around with the editor in R.app on OSX, but I find the
Emacs/ESS combination to be superior. In fact, I build Emacs 23 from
CVS to have a 'real' Emacs on OSX, as opposed to the quirky behavior
of Aquamacs.

Regards,

Marc Schwartz