[R-SIG-Mac] Linux user asks: What about that Editor you have built-in. Can we compile it too?

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Fri May 15 21:59:51 CEST 2009

I use Linux only and have been teaching students with Emacs & ESS.
Lately, we've had some troubles with that combination that are not
solved, and it has caused me to look about for alternatives.

One of my students has a Macintosh and he showed me that the R that he
installed came with an editor that does what we need. The
command-shift sends lines over.

So I started to wonder: why can't we compile that Editor in Linux?  If
a Mac is really BSD Unix with a layer of libraries, it should be
possible.  There are GNUstep libraries to duplicate much of the
NextStep framework, but I have not studied enough on current Mac
systems to know how close we might be to building the Mac R editor
along with R itself.

I've been Googling and searching in this lists archive and don't find
much discussion on this.  If anybody has ideas about whether this is
possible, please advise.

pj
--
Paul E. Johnson