[R-SIG-Mac] R.app history forgets

Rob Goedman robjgoedman at me.com
Wed May 6 18:36:12 CEST 2009

Loren,

The double click issues will go away if you select the 2 entries
under  the line 'Max number of entries ...' in the Startup pref.

As a history workaround, for now just make sure the Startup pref for
the history file is not .Rhistory, as you tested before.

Seems like d&d does what you want, I might just change the note. I
know some folks start R.app by d&d-ing an xxx.R file on it.

Rob

On May 6, 2009, at 9:02 AM, Loren Engrav wrote:

> [...]
>> history file after answering the q() question with yes. Not sure if
>> that is R or maybe some initial default behavior. Of course, in a
>> terminal the file actually contains history commands. I fully agree
>> with Simon, deviating from R haunts you for many years (but at that
>> time of making those changes I did not want to drop the old R.app
>> multi-line history feature).
>>
>> Rob
>>

>> On May 6, 2009, at 7:10 AM, Loren Engrav wrote:
>>
>>> No no, thank you for helping
>>>
>>> To clarify, I am not out to "fix" or "change" anything, or report
>>> bugs, I
>>> just want to understand how to efficiently use R.app, my problems
>>> are
>>>
>>> 1-on my systems (one 32 and one 64), Rhistory "forgets" commands
>>> which is
>>> how this all started, and
>>> 2-I find the Startup Preferences confusing
>>>
>>> Ok, Rdata: several explained that in the workspace, a new object "x"
>>> will
>>> overwrite an old object "x" without warning, by keeping Rdata's
>>> separate one
>>> can use "x" many times for different things, I have always manually
>>> saved
>>> important Rdata's and ignored the default Rdata, but I can change,
>>> or do
>>> both now that I understand
>>>
>>> Now Directory in Preferences: I have checked Always apply and the
>>> directory
>>> is ~; the notes say dd of directory will override if not enforced;
>>> but if I
>>> dd a folder onto R, the working directory is not ~ but rather the
>>> one dd'd
>>> onto R, so does not seem "Always apply" is working
>>>
>>> Now Rhistory: again the problem is Rhistory forgets commands on my
>>> system,
>>> which is why I got into this, but then I find Rhistory(s) all over
>>>
>>> in Prefs I have checked Read on startup and the history file is
>>> ~/.Rhistory
>>> (return saves that value, thank you again, this might be in the
>>> notes) and I
>>> checked Cleanup history.
>>>
>>> It appears that if I work in some directory and then quit w save,
>>> the
>>> history is written to both ~/.Rhistory and the directory. So I had
>>> 33
>>> .Rhistory(s) on the drive even tho I told R.app to use one.
>>>
>>> So I tried your second idea, changed the R.app history name
>>> to .xxxRhistory
>>> and voila, ".xxxRhistory" appears where R.app Preferences say and
>>> ".Rhistory" appears in the working directory, so would appear you
>>> are
>>> correct; R.app is writing out .xxxRhistory and somebody else is
>>> writing
>>> .Rhistory
>>>
>>> Now if I work in the default directory AND have R.app set to write
>>> .xxxRhistory AND quit/save, I again find in the directory
>>> and .Rhistory, so you are again correct; R.app writes .xxxRhistory