[R-SIG-Mac] displaying `help(topic)' in browser

Tom Gottfried tomgottfried at web.de
Wed Mar 25 18:55:57 CET 2009

Dear list,

calling `help(topic)' always displays in the help system of R.app,
even if `help.start(browser="/Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/
firefox")' has been called previously. As I understand `?help.start',
`help()' should display in the browser specified in `help.start()'.
Am I wrong? Is there a possibility to make `help()' display in the
browser? I would prefer this because I like to use functionality such
as tabbed browsing and "search as you type".
Here's what "About R" says in my case:
R 2.8.1 GUI 1.27 Tiger build 32-bit (5301)

Thanks in advance!

Tom