[R-SIG-Mac] Error loading packages, command 'tar' missing from path?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Mar 5 10:42:18 CET 2009

To Simon: this was Mac-specific as only on Macs does install.packages
use this piece of code (and we had a surplus comma in the gettextf
call).

I've never used 10.4.11 and don't know if /usr/bin/tar is part of the
base OS or of Xcode on that version.  I was hoping the Mac aficionados
would know, my main reason for referring Andrew here.