[R-SIG-Mac] Too many dependencies with BioConductor packages?

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Tue Jun 23 16:38:25 CEST 2009

On Jun 23, 2009, at 9:29 AM, Gad Abraham wrote:

> On 23/6/09 11:12 PM, Simon Urbanek wrote:
>>>>
>>> Does "install dependencies" only install Depends or also Suggests?
>>>

>> It's equivalent to install.packages(dependencies=TRUE)
>>

> OK, so it installs all the Depends, Imports, Suggests, and Enhances.

But does the non-checked Package Installer action mimic what the
default "dependencies=NA" does?

"The default, NA, means c("Depends", "Imports") if lib is unambiguous,
and FALSE otherwise."

(I think that means FALSE in my case, since I do not have an
unambiguous .libPaths(), but for most people it appears to mean NA. )

> Maybe this should be mentioned somehow in the GUI (rename "install
> dependencies"?). It's not too much of an issue for CRAN, but in
> BioConductor there are large packages (10s of MB at least) which can
> get downloaded needlessly but are only Suggested.

As another user I vote "opposed" to that suggestion. I would want the
Install dependencies check box to do what the naive-user like myself
would expect, which is to mimic the action of install.packages(<pkg>,
<url>, dependencies=TRUE).

As an alternative suggestion, it might be helpful to have the R
command echoed to the GUI console so that a syntactically correct
template could be modified.

David Winsemius, MD
Heritage Laboratories
West Hartford, CT