[R-SIG-Mac] Too many dependencies with BioConductor packages?

Gad Abraham gabraham at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Tue Jun 23 15:29:20 CEST 2009

On 23/6/09 11:12 PM, Simon Urbanek wrote:

> On Jun 23, 2009, at 8:55 , Gad Abraham wrote:

>>> If A depends on B then installing dependencies means that you also have
>>> to satisfy all dependencies of B which could be C, D, E, F then their
>>> dependencies and so on. The dependency tree in BioC can be quite big...
>>> So R was doing what you told it to do.
>>
>> Does "install dependencies" only install Depends or also Suggests?
>>

> It's equivalent to install.packages(dependencies=TRUE)

OK, so it installs all the Depends, Imports, Suggests, and Enhances.

Maybe this should be mentioned somehow in the GUI (rename "install
dependencies"?). It's not too much of an issue for CRAN, but in
BioConductor there are large packages (10s of MB at least) which can get
downloaded needlessly but are only Suggested.

Thanks,
Gad

--
Gad Abraham