[R-SIG-Mac] puzzled about package versions

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Thu Jul 16 17:54:47 CEST 2009

On Jul 16, 2009, at 5:54 AM, Denis Chabot wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My student and I installed R on our respective macs in a different way
> and the package version numbers that are offered to us using the
> Package Installer menu command are different.
>
> My student did an installed of 2.9.1 using the installer found at <http://cran.r-project.org/
>> for Tiger and Leopard.
>
> Because I thought I'd give a try to the 64-bit version, I instead went
> to <http://R.research.att.com/> and first downloaded and installed the
> R2.9.0 package for Leopard (32 and 64 bit), and then the 2.9.1 patched
> version which I copied on top of the old version (thus replacing it).
>
> I also downloaded the latest R gui. Upon starting R I get
>
> R version 2.9.1 Patched (2009-07-16 r48939)

> snip
>
> But the Package installer tells my the latest version of plyr is
> 0.1.5, whereas for my student, the latest version of plyr is 0.1.9.
>
> Is this because plyr 0.1.9 is not available in 64-bit yet?

Not sure, and I observed the same version on the binary package
installed from CRAN with my 64bit R installed in just the manner you
describe. I can report that compiling 0.1.9 from source using the R64
GUI Package Installer succeeds. There were a lot of notes of the
following sort; but no errors:

Note: removing empty section \details in file 'tryapply-sa.rd'
Note: removing empty section \examples in file 'tryapply-sa.rd'

--

David Winsemius, MD
Heritage Laboratories