[R-SIG-Mac] mac OS X 10.5.7 rgdal installation problems

Jan de Leeuw deleeuw at stat.ucla.edu
Thu Jul 2 18:33:07 CEST 2009

As the error message says: see config.log more more details,
search for "cannot create". It's usually a linking problem,
or a problem with include files, not a compiler problem per se.

On Jul 2, 2009, at 08:47 , stephen sefick wrote:

> sudo R CMD install --configure-args='--with-proj-include=/sw/bin/proj'
> rgdal_0.6-9.tar.gz
> * Installing to library ‘/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/
> library’
> * Installing *source* package ‘rgdal’ ...
> gdal-config: gdal-config
> checking for gcc... gcc -arch i386 -std=gnu99
> checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error:
> C compiler cannot create executables
> See `config.log' for more details.
> ERROR: configuration failed for package ‘rgdal’
> * Removing ‘/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/rgdal’
>
> there is a C compiler problem?  I have XCode  3.1.2.
>
> Stephen Sefick
>
> On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 10:05 AM, stephen sefick<ssefick at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> platform       i386-apple-darwin8.11.1
>> arch           i386
>> os             darwin8.11.1
>> system         i386, darwin8.11.1
>> status
>> major          2
>> minor          9.1
>> year           2009
>> month          06
>> day            26
>> svn rev        48839
>> language       R
>> version.string R version 2.9.1 (2009-06-26)
>>
>> gdal-config, proj, and ogr are in my path.  I type them at the shell
>> prompt and they work.  They were installed using fink so they are in
>> the /sw/bin directory.  The installation did not work without
>> configuration flags and gave me the same error message that is at the
>> end of the transcript, so I decided to tell R CMD install where proj
>> was.  Below is the transcript of my session:
>>
>> sudo R CMD install --configure-args='--with-proj=/sw/bin/proj'
>> rgdal_0.6-9.tar.gz
>> Password:
>> * Installing to library ‘/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/
>> library’
>> * Installing *source* package ‘rgdal’ ...
>> gdal-config: gdal-config
>> checking for gcc... gcc -arch i386 -std=gnu99
>> checking for C compiler default output file name... a.out
>> checking whether the C compiler works... yes
>> checking whether we are cross compiling... no
>> checking for suffix of executables...
>> checking for suffix of object files... o
>> checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... yes
>> checking whether gcc -arch i386 -std=gnu99 accepts -g... yes
>> checking for gcc -arch i386 -std=gnu99 option to accept ANSI C...
>> none needed
>> checking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc -arch i386 -std=gnu99
>> -E
>> checking for egrep... grep -E
>> checking for ANSI C header files... rm: conftest.dSYM: is a directory
>> rm: conftest.dSYM: is a directory
>> yes
>> checking for sys/types.h... yes
>> checking for sys/stat.h... yes
>> checking for stdlib.h... yes
>> checking for string.h... yes
> [...]

===
Jan de Leeuw; Distinguished Professor and Chair, UCLA Department of
Statistics;
Director: UCLA Center for Environmental Statistics (CES);
Editor: Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Journal of Statistical
Software;
US mail: 8125 Math Sciences Bldg, Box 951554, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1554
phone (310)-825-9550;  fax (310)-206-5658;  email: deleeuw at stat.ucla.edu
.mac: jdeleeuw ++++++  aim: deleeuwjan ++++++ skype: j_deleeuw
homepages: http://gifi.stat.ucla.edu ++++++ http://www.cuddyvalley.org