[R-SIG-Mac] Scripting R

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri Jan 30 16:15:44 CET 2009

Christian,

On Jan 30, 2009, at 4:48 , Christian Prinoth wrote:

> Simon,
>
>> If you think so - what is missing? How would you envision it?
>
> In the same way as Excel plugins for Matlab, R etc work in windows.

As I said in my earlier e-mail AFAICS neither Microsoft nor Apple
support plugins and for OO there is already a plugin.

> Currently R-OSX has an Applescript dictionnary with a single
> instruction 'cmd', which allows "remote execution" of R statements.
> What I have in mind are two further instructions 'getdata' and
> 'putdata' that allow to move objects from R to whatever application
> is accessing R via Applescript.

Something along those lines could be done -- probably more natural to
the AS approach abstracting something like a workspace object.
Nonetheless I'm not sure this helps with your problem, because this is
more about UIs talking to each other than proper computing
capabilities. (E.g. it will be likely a pain to use anything bu simple
numbers/vectors). But at least it would be something to play with.

> This way every half-serious OSX application can make use of R's
> calculation power.

However, this is an entirely different question. I'm not sure AS is
the best tool for this purpose -- but then the options are rather few
due to lack of plugins ...