[R-SIG-Mac] Scripting R

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Thu Jan 29 18:12:51 CET 2009

Christian,

On Jan 29, 2009, at 11:50 , Christian Prinoth wrote:

> Sorry for appending an unrelated conversation, just lazyness on my
> side. About the post topic, I did not really know how to name it,
> but since I was under the impression that a more complete
> applescript dictionnary fr R-OSX could achieve what I am loooking
> for, I chose to name it thus.

If you think so - what is missing? How would you envision it?

> So, going back to the real topic, could you please elaborate on what
> "application that support data sharing" means? Is this some COM-like
> protocol?

Whatever the application supports. This is not about R - this is about
the application that uses R. R doesn't really care - since it can be
linked as shared library it can be embedded into any application. The
reason R uses COM on Windows (and that's only one of many ways BTW) is
that it's what Excel supports if - R couldn't care less ;).

> This would be of interest not only relating to Excel for OSX, but
> also other sw, like OpenOffice or Numbers.

The problem here again is that it would be of interest for those if
they supported the same interface. I know at least that Numbers
doesn't allow 3rd party extensions, so AppleScript is what you have to
use (and you'll need iWork '09). For OpenOffice there is already the
"R and Calc" add-on.