[R-SIG-Mac] Problem installing 64-bit R on Mac OS

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Tue Jan 13 22:22:56 CET 2009

On Jan 13, 2009, at 2:04 PM, Corey Sparks wrote:

> Dear List,
> Please forgive the basic nature of this question.  I have looked for
> help on the list but have not been able to solve my problem.
>
> I am trying to install the 64-bit version of R 2.8.1 on my machine,
> it is an iMac with the following configuration
> Model Name:	iMac
>  Model Identifier:	iMac8,1
>  Processor Name:	Intel Core 2 Duo
>  Processor Speed:	2.66 GHz
>  Number Of Processors:	1
>  Total Number Of Cores:	2
>  L2 Cache:	6 MB
>  Memory:	4 GB
>  Bus Speed:	1.07 GHz
>  Boot ROM Version:	IM81.00C1.B00
>  SMC Version:	1.29f1
>
> I am using the instructions on how to install the 64 bit build from:
> http://www.matthewckeller.com/html/64_bit_r_on_mac.html

As noted on this list several times - please don't follow those
instructions, unfortunately they are not quite correct. The canonical
source of information is CRAN and the R for Mac Developers' Page (the
latter has correct instructions). If you have questions beyond that,
please ask on this list first. Follow 3rd party instructions at your
own peril.

> I installed the R-2.8.1.dmg file from CRAN, then downloaded the 64
> bit nightly build for Leopard from
> http://r.research.att.com
> I then replaced the R.Framework folder on my machine with the one
> generated from the nightly build.
>
> However, when I try to run the 64 bit version from the terminal using:
> R --arch=x86_64
> I get
> /usr/bin/R: line 206: /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/etc/
> x86_64/ldpaths: No such file or directory

You were in the wrong place at the wrong time ;). The network setup
was changed on Monday and the nightly build didn't run 64-bit builds
because of that. I have fixed the issue and re-started the build, so
the full builds should be available shortly (you'll see that its safe
if the "Date" fields of Leopard builds shows this afternoon or later
(e.g. Jan 13 16:00 or later)). Thanks for reporting this.

Just to repeat the instructions - please use
curl -s http://r.research.att.com/R-2.8-branch-leopard-
universal.tar.gz | sudo tar fvxz - -C /
and then pick the desired R GUIs from
http://r.research.att.com/