[R-SIG-Mac] Problem installing 64-bit R on Mac OS

Corey Sparks corey.sparks at UTSA.EDU
Tue Jan 13 20:04:25 CET 2009

Dear List,
Please forgive the basic nature of this question.  I have looked for
help on the list but have not been able to solve my problem.

I am trying to install the 64-bit version of R 2.8.1 on my machine, it
is an iMac with the following configuration
Model Name:	iMac
   Model Identifier:	iMac8,1
   Processor Name:	Intel Core 2 Duo
   Processor Speed:	2.66 GHz
   Number Of Processors:	1
   Total Number Of Cores:	2
   L2 Cache:	6 MB
   Memory:	4 GB
   Bus Speed:	1.07 GHz
   Boot ROM Version:	IM81.00C1.B00
   SMC Version:	1.29f1

I am using the instructions on how to install the 64 bit build from:
http://www.matthewckeller.com/html/64_bit_r_on_mac.html
I installed the R-2.8.1.dmg file from CRAN, then downloaded the 64 bit
nightly build for Leopard from
http://r.research.att.com
I then replaced the R.Framework folder on my machine with the one
generated from the nightly build.

However, when I try to run the 64 bit version from the terminal using:
R --arch=x86_64
I get
/usr/bin/R: line 206: /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/etc/
x86_64/ldpaths: No such file or directory

Any ideas would be most appreciated.
Corey

Corey Sparks
Assistant Professor
Department of Demography and Organization Studies
University of Texas at San Antonio
One UTSA Circle
San Antonio, TX 78249
210 458 6858