[R-SIG-Mac] R CMD check / texi2dvi issues

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Tue Jan 13 15:59:59 CET 2009

On Jan 13, 2009, at 6:52 , Robin Hankin wrote:

> Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
>> On Tue, 13 Jan 2009, Robin Hankin wrote:
>>
>>> Dear List
>>>
>>> MacOSX 10.5.5
>>> R-2.8.1 / R-2.9.0
>>>
>>> I'm having difficulty  with vignettes under  Mac OS X.
>>>
>>> Take the partitions package as an example.  According to the CRAN
>>> package check page for partitions, this is clean under each
>>> system, except for r-release-macosx-ix86 <http://cran.r-project.org/web/checks/check_flavors.html#r-release-macosx-ix86
>>> errors, for example:
>>>
>>> "Running 'texi2dvi' on setpartitions.tex failed. "
>>>
>>> Similar things happen to my other packages that include vignettes;
>>> I can't build vignette packages under macosx either.
>>>
>>> What's going on here?
>>
>> Maybe _you_ could tell _us_?  R-devel gives more informative
>> diagnostics than the above. However, 'partitions' checks out for me
>> on my Mac, so I've no idea what you are seeing.  Surely a copy of
>> your logs is 'at a minimum' information.
>>

> Sorry, I intended the link above to point to the log.  Below text is
> cut-and-pasted just now from the CRAN Package Check Results for
> Package partitions (mac section):

... just telling us exactly which packages you have in mind would be
perfectly sufficient and more informative ;).

Short story: nothing to worry about - it should go away

Long story: We do build packages incrementally, i.e. a package is only
re-built if there is a new version (of the package or major R release)
or the package has failed make check previously (along the concept of
hope springs eternal). In the case of "partitions" it has last been
built 11/13/08 which was before some updates to the TeX system on the
check machine, so chances are that it wasn't happy with the TeX
present then. I have re-checked the package (partitions) today and the
NOTE went away. I'll check and see if any other packages are also
affected and re-check them, too.

Thanks,
Simon