[R-SIG-Mac] problems with the data editor

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Sat Jan 10 00:39:12 CET 2009

Dear Simon,

The crash produced by editing an empty data frame is simply for R to hang --
spinning ball, with an error message: SET_VECTOR_ELT() can only be applied
to a 'list', not a 'NULL'. I have to force-quit from R.

Simply editing a data frame "vigorously" has produced different errors,
including hangs, but what happens seems to be variable. I just was able to
generate the following:

*** caught bus error ***
address 0x6eb, cause 'non-existent physical address'

Traceback:
 1: edit.data.frame(Prestige)
 2: edit(Prestige)

Possible actions:
1: abort (with core dump, if enabled)
2: normal R exit
3: exit R without saving workspace
4: exit R saving workspace
Selection:

> > I wonder whether anyone else has observed these problems or has an
> > idea
> > about how to fix them.
> >

> The data editor is horribly old code (or rather horrible, old code)
> that desperately needs re-writing. The plan was originally to do that
> for GUI 2.0, but it is not in sight due to the lack of manpower. I can
> at least see if I can fortify it a bit better so it doesn't generate a
> crash (I was hoping I won't have to do that since it's really an ugly
> mess). FYI the nightly builds won't run the next three nights, because
> we are having a complete shutdown here for maintenance until Monday,
> so the R.app binaries won't be fixed until Tuesday.

I'm sorry to make work for you. I think that it's probably better not to
have a data editor than to have one that fails frequently. I don't use the
data editor much myself, but new users in particular are put off by the
instability, I believe.

> Thanks,
> Simon
>

> > (I'm copying Brian Ripley since we exchanged emails about this issue
> > earlier
> > today.)
> >

> (Was it a BCC? I didn't see it in the e-mail ...).

This is curious, since I've just confirmed that the message in my out-going
mailbox had Brian as a CC. Oh well.

Best,
 John