[R-SIG-Mac] Package installation: setting default library

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Tue Jan 6 23:58:31 CET 2009

On Jan 6, 2009, at 5:20 PM, Carl Witthoft wrote:

> Ok, here is the response I get after R freshly booted via icon:
>

> Rgames: .libPaths()
> [1] "/Users/carl/Library/R/2.8/library"
> [2] "/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.8/Resources/library"
>
> -----
> then I selected Install local package directory, with System
> framework as target location
> ---
>
> Warning in install.packages("/Users/carl/Downloads/gtools", , NULL,
> type = "source") :
>  argument 'lib' is missing: using '/Users/carl/Library/R/2.8/library'
> WARNING: ignoring environment value of R_HOME
> * Installing *binary* package 'gtools' ...
> * DONE (gtools)
> Rgames:
>
> So, it sort of looks like the PackageInstaller GUI window isn't
> filling in the right library path when I click the Install At System
> Level  button.

Yes, thanks, that's what it looks like. In fact all three of the last
choices do the same thing which is incorrect in several ways. This is
a historical relic from times where we didn't have native
file.choose(). At any rate I think I have fixed that in the SVN, so
please try the tonight's build tomorrow.

Thanks,
Simon