[R-SIG-Mac] GTK+ libraries can't be found

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Mon Jan 5 15:33:49 CET 2009

On Jan 5, 2009, at 5:36 , Ivan Alves wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Installing the dependencies of rattle (http://datamining.togaware.com/survivor/Install_Macintosh.html
> ), I encountered a problem installing the RGtk2 library from
> source.  It appears that the  GTK+ libraries can't be found by R (I
> had successfully installed the runtime libraries from  http://r.research.att.com/)
> .
>
> I would much appreciate some guidance as to how to get R to look in
> the right place (/Library/Frameworks/) for the the GTK+ shared
> objects.  Many thanks in advance.

If you have your environment set correctly this is automatic. However,
from your output it seems you don't so make sure you set something like:

export PATH=/Library/Frameworks/GTK+.framework/Resources/bin:$PATH

Also make sure you're not setting PKG_CONFIG_PATH anywhere (this is
usually not the case, but it appears you have another pkg-config
installed) and if you do (and want to use it), you must make sure the
framework path to .pc is first.

(BTW: normally you should not need to install RGtk2 from sources since
it's available on CRAN).