[R-SIG-Mac] 64 bit Mac GUI

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Feb 2 09:33:39 CET 2009

You should be able to install all the packages you need on a 64-but
machine -- the Linux community has been doing so for years, and 64-bit
Linux has been part of the testing equally for several years.  (I only
have 64-bit Linux systems.)

With 'statnet', the chain of dependencies includes 'rgl' where you
only have access to the X11 version (and will need to modify the
sources to build it).  I suspect that this is actually a problem with
the statnet suite - 'shapes' claims to depend on rgl but probably
should only suggest it.  This is the not the place, but the authors of
the suite need to be asked to study and follow 'Writing R Extensions'.

We know about the rgl issues, and workarounds are being discussed.

'igraph' compiles from the sources on x86_64 Mac OS -- what problems
did you encounter when you tried?

Running 32- and 64-bit R on the same machine is very simple (start up
with R --arch=), but I suspect what you are talking about is running
R.app (the GUI).  I'll leave Simon to explain that.