[R-SIG-Mac] cairoDevice package on mac os install failure

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Mon Dec 21 04:33:07 CET 2009

On Dec 20, 2009, at 1:27 PM, Mark Heckmann wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> the cairoDevice package is not available as a binary on CRAN right now.
> I tried to compile it from source, which renders the following:
>
> 	mark-heckmanns-macbook:~ markheckmann$ R CMD INSTALL cairoDevice_2.10.tar.gz
> 	* installing to library ‘/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library’
> 	* installing *source* package ‘cairoDevice’ ...
> 	checking for pkg-config... pkg-config
> 	ERROR: gtk+2.0 not found by pkg-config.
> 	ERROR: configuration failed for package ‘cairoDevice’
> 	* removing ‘/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/cairoDevice’
>
> 1) Is there a manual way to fix this as GTK+2.0 is installed?

The "manual way" is to set your environment properly. How, that's entirely up to you and your GTK+ -- for example if you are using the CRAN version of GTK+ framework you have to add
/Library/Frameworks/GTK+.framework/Resources/bin
to your PATH.

> 2) Will there be a fix in the future?

Not on our end, it's hard to fix users ;). If you want to compile packages from sources, you'll have to make sure you have all requirements in place - that's your responsibility. (BTW cairoDevice is not on CRAN in binary form because it doesn't pass check so even the above may not work -- but in that case you should really ask the RGtk2 maintainer ...).