[R-SIG-Mac] OS 10.5.8 Compatibility

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sat Dec 5 21:51:55 CET 2009

On Dec 5, 2009, at 3:05 PM, Francis Smart wrote:

> Dear R people,
>
> I am running OS 10.5.8 on my PowerBook G4 and unfortunately it will
> not allow me to upgrade to Snow Leopard, because it does not run an
> Intel Chip.
>
> I have downloaded a version of R

... a version?

> and it does not appear to be stable.

That is a bit vague.

> I have thought about about installing Linux to ensure a stable build
> but unfortunately I bought the PowerBook G4 used and I did not come
> with install disks.  The Leopard install disks I do have refuse to run
> on an non-Intel machine.  So if I installed Linux, that would mean
> that I would have to uninstall OS X and I probably would not be able
> to reinstall it.
>
> So I guess I am wondering if anybody has a build of R that they know
> is stable on 10.5.8.  Also, I am sure there are other potential
> solutions that I have not thought of.

I currently have R 2.8.0 on a G4 PB running 10.5.7. I don't remember
that there was a conscious decision not to upgrade R, I also cannot
remember if I had a reason not to go to OSX 10.5.8. Almost all of my R
work is on later Macs and the PB now is just for checking PowerPoint
presentations for compatibility with OpenOffice.

> Any recommendations?

Not sure I know much else to say other than you can get old disk-image
versions of the universal 32 bit build here:

http://lib.stat.cmu.edu/R/CRAN/bin/macosx/universal/base/

> Thank you for your time,
> Francis
> --