[R-SIG-Mac] OT: Snow Leopard and Application Compatibility

Jan de Leeuw deleeuw at stat.ucla.edu
Thu Aug 27 17:43:06 CEST 2009

I have been using SL for over a year. Compiling and running a x86-84
bit R
can be done without problems. There are about 600 packages in my R
install,
all build and run without problems. I don't know about R.app, though.
I do
find that R on SL, with suitable optimization flags, feels quite a bit
faster.

On Aug 27, 2009, at 05:20 , Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

> There are list members with access to the developer pre-release
> 'seeds', and I have seen 'Mac OS X 10.6' in one report (with a
> corresponding sessionInfo() output). So it seems very likely there
> is no problem with R, and most likely none with with R.app.
>
> (We are deferring upgrading until our sysadmins are back from
> holiday absences.)
>
> On Thu, 27 Aug 2009, Marc Schwartz wrote:
>
>> http://snowleopard.wikidot.com/
>>

>> All,
>>
>> Above is the link to a web site that is being updated with
>> information on potential application compatibility issues with Snow
>> Leopard (SL). Curiously, R is listed there...with an "Unknown
>> Status".
>>
>> Our copy of SL should arrive tomorrow.
>>
>> Before updating, you should review this list to see if there are
>> any potential issues with programs that you are using and SL.
>>
>> If there are, you may have to wait to upgrade the OS until an
>> application is updated to be compatible. I have to wait until PGP
>> (my whole disk encryption program) is updated, which supposedly
>> will be soon according to their tech support folks.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Marc Schwartz

===
Jan de Leeuw; Distinguished Professor and Chair, UCLA Department of
Statistics;
Director: UCLA Center for Environmental Statistics (CES);
Editor: Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Journal of Statistical
Software;
US mail: 8125 Math Sciences Bldg, Box 951554, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1554
phone (310)-825-9550;  fax (310)-206-5658;  email: deleeuw at stat.ucla.edu
.mac: jdeleeuw ++++++  aim: deleeuwjan ++++++ skype: j_deleeuw
homepages: http://gifi.stat.ucla.edu ++++++ http://www.cuddyvalley.org