[R-SIG-Mac] Compiling R-2.9.1 from the source

Benilton Carvalho bcarvalh at jhsph.edu
Wed Aug 19 19:14:24 CEST 2009

Hi,

I was hoping to be to able to compile R-2.9.1 from the source as I've
always done.

'./configure' always worked nice, but now it fails to find 'iconv',
which is installed:

bcarvalh$ which iconv
/usr/bin/iconv

bcarvalh$ iconv --version
iconv (GNU libiconv 1.11)
Copyright (C) 2000-2006 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There
is NO
PURPOSE.
Written by Bruno Haible.

Here's what I get with ./configure

checking iconv.h usability... yes
checking iconv.h presence... yes
checking for iconv.h... yes
checking for iconv... no
checking for iconvlist... no
configure: error: --with-iconv=yes (default) and a suitable iconv is
not available

I'm running Mac OS X 10.5.8... any ideas on what I may be missing? Or
suggestions on what to report in order to try to find the source of
the problem?

Thank you very much,

benilton