[R-SIG-Mac] installation of affy under Mac OS X 10.5.6 (Leopard)

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Tue Apr 21 21:46:30 CEST 2009

Patrick,

On Apr 21, 2009, at 14:53 , Patrick Aboyoun wrote:

> Massimo,
> I'll break down these issues in two and go through them in turn:
>
> 1) stale binaries for R 2.8 at bioconductor.org
> You had found that the Mac OS X binary packages at bioconductor.org
> that used fortran, like preprocessCore, had a bad gfortran link in
> them. I updated those packages last week and they are now properly
> redirected to the gfortran library that is provided with the pre-
> built version of R 2.8. To fix this issue, please download the
> troublesome libraries again for a fix.
>
> 2) Determining which binary packages are appropriate for your Mac
> I think you were downloading the Mac OS X 10.4 binary packages from
> bioconductor.org rather than the Mac OS X 10.5 binary packages
> because your pkgType == "mac.binary" instead of
> "mac.binary.leopard". You and either perform a global setting of the
> pkgType to "mac.binary.leopard" using options("pkgType" =
> "mac.binary.leopard") or specify type = "mac.binary.leopard" when
> using the biocLite / install.packages functions.

Do NOT do that manually! You can only use Tiger binaries in Tiger
build of R even if you are running Leopard system, so the default
setting is there for a reason (at least in CRAN binaries). The OS
version is entirely irrelevant in this matter.

> I have also modified the underpinnings of biocLite to produce a
> warning message when you specify type = "mac.binary" when you are
> running on Mac OS X 10.5 machine with some suggestions on what you
> can do to avoid this type of problem in the future.

That will be very bad for the reason above ... Are you sure you mean
that? Or am I missing something - are you talking about the running OS
or the R build OS?

> Simon Urbanek wrote:
>> Massimo,
>>
>> On Apr 21, 2009, at 9:10 AM, Massimo Pinto wrote:
>>
>>> Greetings all
>>> last week I attempted to install the genefilter package using
>>> BiocLite(genefilter) from the R prompt. Despite having a Mac OS X
>>> 10.5.6.
>>> (Tiger), for some reason which I don't understand in full, BioC
>>> 2.3 believes
>>> I am running on Mac OS X 10.4 (Leopard)

>>> R version 2.8.1 (2008-12-22)
>>> i386-apple-darwin8.11.1
>>>

>> This shows you what kind of R you are running (i.e. where was the R
>> compiled), not what your OS is. You are running the Tiger release
>> of R, which is ok since it is designed for Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
>> and later which includes your 10.5.
>>

>>> therefore, when I run biocLite, general Mac binaries are installed
>>> and this results in execution errors.
>>>

>> The "therefore" is wrong here ;).
>>

>>> Much thanks to the help found on this list, I have downloaded the
>>> tarball for OSX 10.5 binaries and installed manually. It worked
>>> just fine.
>>>
>>> Today I have encountered a similar problem with the package affy.
>>> Accordingly, I have downloaded the OS X 10.5 binaries and
>>> installed manually:

>>> however, when I load the library:

>>> Welcome to Bioconductor
>>>
>>> Vignettes contain introductory material. To view, type
>>> 'openVignette()'. To cite Bioconductor, see
>>> 'citation("Biobase")' and for packages 'citation(pkgname)'.
>>>
>>> Error in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...) :
>>> unable to load shared library
>>> '/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/preprocessCore/
>>> libs/i386/preprocessCore.so':
>>> dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/
>>> preprocessCore/libs/i386/preprocessCore.so,
>>> 6): Library not loaded: /usr/local/lib/libgfortran.2.dylib
>>> Referenced from:
>>> /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/preprocessCore/
>>> libs/i386/preprocessCore.so
>>> Reason: image not found
>>> Error: package/namespace load failed for 'affy'
>>>

>> The problem above doesn't come from affy, but from the
>> preprocessCore package (see the error). The binary for
>> preprocessCore you use is not quite correct. It uses local Fortran
>> libraries on the machine that built it where it should be using the
>> Fortran library inside R. If this is a binary from the BioC
>> repository, please notify the maintainers, otherwise re-install the
>> binary of preprocessCore from BioC. Note the the correct mailing
>> list for such questions is BioC.
>>
>> A work-around (that fixes the symptom, not the problem) is to
>> install the full R (you seem to have only the mini version
>> installed) which includes a local Fortran compiler - or you can
>> install the Fortran manually from
>> http://cran.r-project.org/bin/macosx/tools/
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Simon
>>

>>> ===the package does not get loaded as a library cannot be found.
>>> Similarly,
>>> I run into problems if I install as follows:

>>> http://www.bioconductor.org/packages/2.3/bioc/bin/macosx/leopard/contrib/2.8/
>>> ",
>>> contriburl="