[R-SIG-Mac] installation of affy under Mac OS X 10.5.6 (Leopard)

Patrick Aboyoun paboyoun at fhcrc.org
Tue Apr 21 20:53:40 CEST 2009

Massimo,
I'll break down these issues in two and go through them in turn:

1) stale binaries for R 2.8 at bioconductor.org
You had found that the Mac OS X binary packages at bioconductor.org that
used fortran, like preprocessCore, had a bad gfortran link in them. I
updated those packages last week and they are now properly redirected to
the gfortran library that is provided with the pre-built version of R
2.8. To fix this issue, please download the troublesome libraries again
for a fix.

2) Determining which binary packages are appropriate for your Mac
I think you were downloading the Mac OS X 10.4 binary packages from
bioconductor.org rather than the Mac OS X 10.5 binary packages because
your pkgType == "mac.binary" instead of "mac.binary.leopard". You and
either perform a global setting of the pkgType to "mac.binary.leopard"
using options("pkgType" = "mac.binary.leopard") or specify type =
"mac.binary.leopard" when using the biocLite / install.packages functions.

I have also modified the underpinnings of biocLite to produce a warning
message when you specify type = "mac.binary" when you are running on Mac
OS X 10.5 machine with some suggestions on what you can do to avoid this
type of problem in the future.

Cheers,
Patrick