[R-SIG-Mac] installation of affy under Mac OS X 10.5.6 (Leopard)

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Tue Apr 21 17:13:56 CEST 2009

On Apr 21, 2009, at 10:48 , James W. MacDonald wrote:

> And downloading the tarball and installing is a recipe for failure.

Why? People that don't have direct internet connection do that on a
regular basis. You only have to make sure you don't unpack the content
involuntarily.

> If you want to install source packages, just use the correct
> arguments.
>
> biocLite("affy", type = "source")
>
> will get you the correct affy version plus all required dependencies.

I don't think Massimo was talking about source packages. That would
require much more - you'll need Xcode tools etc. and you wouldn't see
the error he was having since you'd be compiling it yourself. Note
that on Mac binary packages are also tar balls and R knows what to do
with them ...

PS: Normally you don't need development tools for binary packages - as
I was pointing out there is something wrong with the binary Massimo
was using.

> Kjell Konis wrote:
>> It looks like you don't have all the development tools installed.
>> The missing library /usr/local/lib/libgfortran.2.dylib is part of
>> the Fortran compiler which is included with the full R installer.
>> Kjell
>> On 21 avr. 09, at 15:10, Massimo Pinto wrote:
>>> Error in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...) :
>>> unable to load shared library
>>> '/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/preprocessCore/
>>> libs/i386/preprocessCore.so':
>>> dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/