[R-SIG-Mac] Reminder: Please test the 2.9.0 beta/rc binaries!

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sat Apr 11 05:31:34 CEST 2009

On Apr 10, 2009, at 10:49 PM, Simon Urbanek wrote:

> On Apr 10, 2009, at 9:38 PM, David Winsemius wrote:

>>> That looks like a copy/paste error, but the question is, when?
>>> Did you try to run pkgutil and miscopy the error message, or did
>>> the error happen earlier?
>>
>> WTF?
>>
>> I (thrice)  1) tried the command earlier and got that message, and
>> 2) more recently correctly copied the error message when I ran it,
>> and  3) now tried  pkgutil --forget R-Framework.pkg. Warnes said it
>> was dpkgutil (or pkgutil), you say it is pkgutil. All three have
>> unfavorable results. Screen-scrapes of the last two attached:
>

> It is pkgutil as in my e-mail [thanks @ Gregg - I didn't notice the
> typo in the ReadMe]. The name to forget is definitely not R-
> Framework.pkg because it is supposed to be ID of the package, but it
> depends how you installed the first R. If you used the Leopard
> installer then it's
>
> pkgutil --forget org.r-project.R.Leopard.fw.pkg
>
> To see a list of installed packages, use
>
> pkgutil --pkgs
>
> Usually you only have to forget the framework, the GUIs install in
> the same location, so you have to move them aside in either case.

Among other things, I see these after:
> pkgutil --pkgs
.
.
org.r-project.R.Leopard.fw.pkg
org.r-project.R.Leopard.GUI.pkg
org.r-project.R.Leopard.GUI64.pkg
org.r-project.R.Leopard.gfortran42.pkg

So if I want to install 2.9 alongside with the GUI for 2.9 what should
I do? My guess based on the foregoing would be use pgkutil --forget
twice: once for the R pkg and onece for the GUI sot that I can keep
both 2.8 and 2.9. I am assuming that the GUI's can get separate names
and would be installed in /Applications/

--

David Winsemius, MD
Heritage Laboratories