[R-SIG-Mac] Title of quartz window

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Tue Apr 7 16:39:36 CEST 2009

On Apr 7, 2009, at 10:17 , Dennis Fisher wrote:

> Colleagues,
>
> R 2.8.1 in OS X 10.5.6
>
> When I open a quartz window:
> 	quartz(title="some text")
> the title of the window appears as:
> 	some text [*]
> i.e., R appends a bracket-asterisk-bracket
>
> When I open a second window with the same name, the appended text
> does not appear.
>
> Questions:
> 1.  What controls that appended text?
> 2.  Can I suppress it?

The asterisk denotes that the given Quartz device window is active
(i.e. it is the current graphics device) you cannot suppress it.
FWIW: Your description is not quite correct - [*] appears for the
first quartz window you create and it also appears on any new window
you create, but at the same time it disappears from the first one. It
will also disappear when you open another (non-quartz) device in which
case none of the windows will have an asterisk.