[R-SIG-Mac] Problems with packages that require Gtk2

John Maindonald John.Maindonald at anu.edu.au
Wed Sep 24 13:12:53 CEST 2008

I've had a brief exchange of emails, to which Simon is privy, with
Michael Lawrence.

"From what I've heard, people who compile the entire toolchain, i.e.
do not use Simon's GTK+, cairo, etc binaries, do not have a problem
with cairoDevice on the Mac. ... In the past, the seg faults were
occuring in the font handling code, whenever rotated text was drawn.
Of course, this is probably just a sign of memory corruption
elsewhere, but my guess is that's related to the Pango/Cairo
interaction."

Has anyone had success going this route (compiling the entire
toolchain)?  If one does go this route, how should it be done?
Install MacPorts and follow the instructions on the MacPorts web
page?  I found detailed instructions on a web page that is designed to
make it possible to reproduce a problem with fonts:
http://trac.macports.org/ticket/15626

John Maindonald             email: john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
phone : +61 2 (6125)3473    fax  : +61 2(6125)5549
Centre for Mathematics & Its Applications, Room 1194,
John Dedman Mathematical Sciences Building (Building 27)
Australian National University, Canberra ACT 0200.