[R-SIG-Mac] Problems with packages that require Gtk2

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Tue Sep 23 15:32:43 CEST 2008

On Sep 23, 2008, at 0:20 , John Maindonald wrote:

> Has anyone been able to get packages that rely on Gtk2 to run under
> Leopard?

Yes, I see no problem with Gtk2.

> I have experimented with the playwith package, as depending on a
> small number of packages additional to Gtk2.   I can pretty
> consistently generate a bus error by attaching playwith, then
> printing a lattice object.  Note that I have not run any functions
> from the playwith package.
>
> The same may happen if I attach all the packages on which playwith
> depends (but not playwith itself), but the bus error does not appear
> with the same consistency.

The problem appears to be in Michael's carioDevice, it crashes because
its cairo context is NULL. I suspect it may not have a good error
handling. I'm not sure what causes the problem, you may try to contact
Michael. Neither the built-in R cairo device nor the Cairo package
have any problems, so I don't think it's a problem on the cairo side...