[R-SIG-Mac] Tcl/Tk on 2.7.2 and Leopard

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri Sep 5 17:49:22 CEST 2008

Christian,

On Sep 5, 2008, at 9:59 , Christian Hoffmann wrote:

> I am not a profound Mac oficionado, but under the new Mac OSX 10.5
> Leopard I installed R-2.7.2 out of the box. When I start R in the
> terminal, I can see that it hangs at loading Tcl/Tk. Using >R --
> vanilla is no alternative so far, since my compiled .First seems to
> interfere. How can I start with a simple .First or without it?

I'm not quite sure I understand the problem. Running R --vanilla in
Terminal will start a plain R without loading any workspace and thus
no .First. I'm not quite sure why that's no alternative for you. If
you don't want to use --vanilla, you can simply start R from a
different directory or delete your saved workspace (.Rdata).

If that doesn't answer your question, please try to rephrase your
problem. Note that for Tcl/Tk to work you need installed (and working)
X11, so make sure that, e.g., xterm works. Also note that Tcl/Tk
doesn't hang - it can abort if X11 is not started, but it should not
hang, so you may be seeing something else...