[R-SIG-Mac] RGtk2 on Mac -- problems installing...

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Wed Oct 29 21:13:23 CET 2008

On Oct 29, 2008, at 16:00 , Jonathan Greenberg wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> 	I've got R 2.8.0 on MacOS X 10.4.11, and I'm trying to get RGtk2
> working so I can use some other libaries that require it.  When
> installing it normally, it asks me if I want to install the GTK
> runtime, which downloads but then fails to install.  I manually
> downloaded the GTK runtime installer from http://
> r.research.att.com/, which installed fine, but R doesn't seem to
> "see" it (it continues to ask me if I want to install GTK when
> trying to load the libary).  Any tricks to getting this to work?  I
> feel like there might be an environment variable missing someplace,
> but I have no idea what the variable is nor how to define it
> permanently for R.

The GTK+ binary for R 2.8.0 has been updated and it uses a different
location to prevent messing up other packages. That makes it
incompatible with the old GTK used for R 2.7.2 and earlier. The new
binary  is available from

http://r.research.att.com/libs/

To install paste in Terminal:

curl -s http://r.research.att.com/libs/GTK+_2.14.3-X11-darwin8-bin2.tar.gz
  \
| sudo tar fvxz - -C /

There should be a proper package installer shortly, I was just waiting
for some feedback from selected developers first.