[R-SIG-Mac] Problem with libR.dylib in 2.8.0

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Tue Oct 28 23:44:24 CET 2008

On Oct 28, 2008, at 18:11 , Chris Lokan wrote:

> After installing 2.8.0, I am unable to load some packages. I have
> installed
> them successfully with R CMD INSTALL, but can't load them into R.
>
> For example:
>
>> library("Cairo")
> Error in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...) :
>  unable to load shared library
> '/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.8/Resources/library/
> Cairo/libs/i
> 386/Cairo.so':
>
> dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.8/Resources/
> library/Cairo/
> libs/i386/Cairo.so, 6): Library not loaded:
> /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.7/Resources/lib/libR.dylib
>  Referenced from:
> /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.8/Resources/library/Cairo/
> libs/i3
> 86/Cairo.so
>  Reason: image not found
> Error : .onLoad failed in 'loadNamespace' for 'Cairo'
> Error: package/namespace load failed for 'Cairo'
>
> Where can I find libR.dylib? Or is there another way around this?

You are likely trying to load a R 2.7.x package in R 2.8.0. Look at
the paths above. Make sure you have removed packages from previous R
versions and/or you are not using hard-coded paths to user libraries.
Also I would strongly recommend using CRAN builds of packages
especially with packages with library dependencies like Cairo.