[R-SIG-Mac] X11 with aquamacs

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Oct 15 15:51:39 CEST 2008

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008, Vincent Goulet wrote:

> Le lun. 6 oct. à 12:09, stephen sefick a écrit :
>
>> I have aqua macs installed.  I would like to use this with a R 2.7.2
>> that I built on os x 10.3.9.  R works fine in the X11 terminal, but I
>> can not copy and paste ...  I would like to use aquamacs as my
>> interface to R.  It starts up fine and interfaces with R preforms
>> computations,  but when i issue the X11() command it does not open up
>> a window.  I used the command at the x11 terminal as to the aquamacs
>> export DISPLAY=0.0
>>
>> then I checked to see if aquamacs recognized to use x11 (I don't
>> remember the exact command right now) and it returned nil.  So, how do
>> I get aquamacs to interface with x11.
>
> I'd recommend using the quartz() device instead of the x11() one. The display
> is much nicer and it doesn't require X11. Just put
>
> 	options(device = "quartz")
>
> in your ~/.Rprofile file to set it as the default device.

Better to set env variable R_INTERACTIVE_DEVICE as per the help for
options(), since you don't want a device that does not work in
non-interactive sessions.  (It is also better to use
options(device=grDevices::quartz) to ensure visibility of the device when
you need it, in case something else has a function quartz).

This is assuming that quartz() actually works on 10.3.9: I didn't think it
did (in the current incarnation).