[R-SIG-Mac] bug: locale not detected by R.app 2.7.2 ?

Hugo Quené hugo.quene at let.uu.nl
Tue Oct 7 23:26:49 CEST 2008

Dear Developers,

After upgrading from R 2.6.2 to 2.7.2 on my MacBook I've run into an
annoying little problem (warning). It seems that the R.app interface
does not detect the proper system locale (international) settings,
whereas R in shell mode has no such problem, see the logs below.
This is irritating because I'm working with strings containing
non-ASCII characters.

1. Here's a log of R.app Console window:

<BEGIN R.app log>
R version 2.7.2 (2008-08-25)
Copyright (C) 2008 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
ISBN 3-900051-07-0

   Natural language support but running in an English locale

Type 'q()' to quit R.

During startup - Warning messages:
1: Setting LC_CTYPE failed, using "C"
2: Setting LC_COLLATE failed, using "C"
3: Setting LC_TIME failed, using "C"
4: Setting LC_MESSAGES failed, using "C"
WARNING: You're using a non-UTF8 locale, therefore only ASCII
characters will work.
Please read R for Mac OS X FAQ (see Help) section 9 and adjust your
system preferences accordingly.
[Workspace restored from /Users/Hugo/.RData]

 > sessionInfo()
R version 2.7.2 (2008-08-25)
i386-apple-darwin8.11.1

locale:

attached base packages:

Making links in per-session dir ... done
 > system("echo $LC_CTYPE")

 > system("echo $LC_COLLATE")

 > system("echo $LC_TIME")

 > system("echo $LC_MESSAGES")

 > Sys.getlocale()
[1] "C"
<END R.app log>

2. Here's a log from R called from within a shell (Terminal):

<BEGIN R shell log>
Unknown-00-1e-52-82-78-89:~ Hugo$ R

R version 2.7.2 (2008-08-25)
Copyright (C) 2008 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
ISBN 3-900051-07-0

   Natural language support but running in an English locale

Type 'q()' to quit R.

[Previously saved workspace restored]

 > system("echo $LC_CTYPE")
UTF-8
 > Sys.getlocale()
[1] "C/UTF-8/C/C/C/C"

<END R shell log>

3. Settings

I've read the R for Mac OS X FAQ (see Help) section 9.
My settings are customized, i.e. a mix of US and European
conventions for Language and Format. Hence I'm not strictly
following one country setting. Nor do I want to.

I'm using UTF-8 systemwide however.

Unknown-00-1e-52-82-78-89:~ Hugo$ sw_vers
ProductName:	Mac OS X
ProductVersion:	10.5.5
BuildVersion:	9F33

In the above cases R was run from my user home directory ~.

If you can provide some insights about the cause of this problem,
and possible remedies, I'd be delighted to hear!

Many thanks for your assistance, with kind regards,

Hugo Quené

--
Dr Hugo Quené | senior docent-onderzoeker Fonetiek | Departement
Moderne Talen | Utrecht inst of Linguistics OTS | Universiteit