[R-SIG-Mac] Packages not installing to user space

Almond, Russell ralmond at ETS.ORG
Mon Oct 6 18:39:49 CEST 2008

I recently upgraded my computer and I'm trying an experiment in which my
day-to-day usage account does not have admin privileges.

I'm trying to install a package (say coda) using the "At User Level" option
and the package installer GUI.  The package downloads correctly and no error
message is reported at the console.  However, when I try load the packages,
I get an error message:

> library(coda)
Error in library(coda) : there is no package called 'coda'

Additionally, .libPaths() only returns the system library, nothing in my
home directory.

> .libPaths()
[1] "/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library"

Oops.  I just figured this out.  There is an option in the preferences that
add $HOME/R/x.y/library to .libPaths().   I would argue that this needs to
be turned on by default, as most users without admin privileges will have
difficulty finding it (I certainly took me 1/2 of poking around).

    --Russell Almond
> sessionInfo()
R version 2.7.2 (2008-08-25)
i386-apple-darwin8.11.1

locale:
en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/C/C/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8

attached base packages:

other attached packages:
[1] RMySQL_0.6-1    DBI_0.2-4       coda_0.13-3     lattice_0.17-13

[1] grid_2.7.2  tools_2.7.2