[R-SIG-Mac] X11 with aquamacs

Kasper Daniel Hansen khansen at stat.berkeley.edu
Mon Oct 6 19:16:37 CEST 2008

As you can understand from the comments in the /bin/sh: tar thread,
you cannot expect Aquamacs to pick up environment variables you set
inside Terminal / xterm.

The - by far - easiest way for you to proceed is to set the
environment variables inside R using Sys.putenv, and place everything
in .Rprofile

So do the following:
create ~/.Rprofile with the content

Sys.putenv(DISPLAY = ":0.0")

(I think the colon has to be there, but I may be a bit rusty in my
DISPLAY syntax, so check out the right syntax online. You can check
whether it works by doing
Sys.getenv("DISPLAY")
inside of R.)

You need to start the X11 server manually.

You could also have used .Renviron, but (unfortunately) that file is
not parsed when you execute R CMD BATCH, so personally I don't like
using it.

Kasper