[R-SIG-Mac] /bin/sh: tar: command not found

[Ricardo Rodriguez] Your XEN ICT Team webmaster at xen.net
Sat Oct 4 00:03:07 CEST 2008

Hi Kasper,

Kasper Daniel Hansen wrote:
> Clearly tar is not in the PATH. Your PATH variable can be different
> from application to application and in this case however you have
> started R (GUI?), tar is not being picked up. And which tar are you
> using? Xcode, FInk, Macports.

I must recognize that to set PATH keeps being a mystery for me.

How could I print out the PATH R is using? In a terminal:

sh-3.2# echo $PATH
/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin:/usr/local/apache-maven/apache-maven-2.1.0-M1/bin
sh-3.2#

sh-3.2# find . -name tar
./Applications/Fetch.app/Contents/Frameworks/StuffItCore.framework/Versions/A/Plug-Ins/tar.bundle/Contents/MacOS/tar
./Applications/StuffIt 11/StuffIt
Expander.app/Contents/Frameworks/StuffItCore.framework/Versions/A/Plug-Ins/tar.bundle/Contents/MacOS/tar
./System/Library/Tcl/tcllib1.8/tar
./usr/bin/tar
./usr/share/ant/docs/javadocs/org/apache/tools/tar

No GUI, just R Console.

Thanks for your help,

Ricardo

--