[R-SIG-Mac] Installing multiple architectures for a package

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Thu Nov 27 05:22:22 CET 2008

On Nov 26, 2008, at 11:06 PM, Steven McKinney wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have set up both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of
> R.app and can run them happily at the same time.
> (I'll refer to them as R32.app and R64.app)
>
> However, if I install a package using the R32.app
> package installer, then install the same package
> from R64.app, the 32 bit version is removed.

This is not about 32-bit vs. 64-bit --- this is about which build of R
you use. The Tiger build supports only 32-bit, the Leopard build
supports both 32 and 64-bit. It is irrelevant which architecture you
use (32 ot 64-bit). You have to use the packages binaries for the
correct build, but that should happen automatically.

> Is there a way to install from R64.app so that the *package*/libs/
> ppc64 directory is added to the already existing *package*/libs/ and
> the appropriate 64 bit file versions are installed into *package*/
> libs/ppc64 without deleting the whole library directory?  (At
> present each R32.app or R64.app install deletes the whole package's
> library directory so I only end up with one architecture installed.)

Yes, if you install from sources use
R CMD INSTALL --libs-only

See R for Mac FAQ "5.4 Building universal packages"

However, you should only need that in rare cases (for packages with
Makefile or configure script). Make sure you know what you're doing
(please read the whole package installation FAQ section).