[R-SIG-Mac] Installing multiple architectures for a package

Steven McKinney smckinney at bccrc.ca
Thu Nov 27 05:06:53 CET 2008

Hi all,

I have set up both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of
R.app and can run them happily at the same time.
(I'll refer to them as R32.app and R64.app)

However, if I install a package using the R32.app
package installer, then install the same package
from R64.app, the 32 bit version is removed.

Is there a way to install from R64.app so that
the *package*/libs/ppc64 directory is added to the
already existing *package*/libs/ and
the appropriate 64 bit file versions are installed
into *package*/libs/ppc64 without deleting the
whole library directory?  (At present each
R32.app or R64.app install deletes the whole
package's library directory so I only end up
with one architecture installed.)

I've reviewed the install.packages() help and
am not seeing a way to accomplish this via
the command line.  Did I miss something?
Is there a way to add an architecture to a
package's already existing libs/ directory?

Steven McKinney

Statistician
Molecular Oncology and Breast Cancer Program
British Columbia Cancer Research Centre

email: smckinney +at+ bccrc +dot+ ca

tel: 604-675-8000 x7561

BCCRC